Earlier this month, Vi Model and former Miss America Teresa Scanlan’s story was published on HerCampus.com (a global community for college women).
In it, she takes readers through every pivotal event leading up to her 30-lb. weight gain—from the moment she was crowned Miss Nebraska, to the exhilarating yet exhausting schedule of being a pageant winner, to winning Miss America, to yet another hectic schedule that comes with being a newly crowned Miss America… and finally… to her realization that she had neglected her physical health and had gone from being a size 2 to a size 10.
Her turning point came when a fellow pageant contestant Challenged her to lose her first 10 lbs. on the PROJECT 10™ Challenge. She recounts her weight-loss journey to becoming the 2014 Vi Model Champion (and embodying The Challenge Lifestyle!).
And while we loved reading about her success on The Challenge, what really moved and inspired us was the lesson she learned from it all:
“I resolved one thing right then and there: I would challenge myself for the rest of my life. No matter what, I would never be apathetic about my health again. I would never make excuses. From that point on, I would spend every day, every month, and every year of my life improving. I would be a healthy role model to others by leading by example… It doesn’t matter how many times I mess up, fall down or feel like quitting. It only matters that I pick myself back up and try again. All that matters is that I am always setting new goals and new challenges.”
Teresa’s 5 Tips for Challenge Success while Balancing a Busy Schedule:
- Planning – Always schedule time for meals even if you don’t have time to sit down. Make sure you also have a healthy snack on hand… my favorite go-to snack is the Nutra-Cookie™. It fits in my purse and always hits the spot!
- Breakfast – Always start the day with a proper meal. Nothing gets you going quite like some AM protein. When I’m running late, I throw some [Vi-Shape®] shake mix and soy milk into my shaker cup, or fuel up with a large bowl of Vi Crunch®.
- Dress the part – I always wear my workout gear or Vi Gear as much as possible. It keeps me accountable—not to mention I’m always dressed and ready to head to the gym.
- Challenge others – This requires you to talk about your Challenge and lead by example. The interaction also helps you prioritize your Challenge goals while encouraging others.
- Consistency – The more you push through tough days (or “fail days”), the easier it is to jump back in and develop good habits to live a healthy lifestyle.
What are your favorite tips to staying on The Challenge even with a busy schedule?
PROJECT 10™ Challenge goals can be (or include) weight loss, building lean muscle or improving energy and endurance. Every participant should consider his or her personal circumstances and create goals that are both reasonable and achievable. Vi discourages rapid and extreme weight loss, which can actually be unhealthy and emphasizes that safe and sustainable weight loss is never achieved without exercise and sensible eating. Persons with preexisting medical conditions should consult a healthcare professional before embarking on any fitness, health or weight-loss program.