The holidays are a flurry of friends, family and food. We were so inspired by the sweet and savory spices of the season, we dreamed up a tasty, ginger-pecan scone recipe complete with Vi-Shape® for a nutritional boost. Enjoy these yummy scones at breakfast with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Spiced Ginger-Pecan Scones with Vi-Shape
- 1 cup Vi-Shape Shake Mix
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups applesauce OR 1 large avocado
- 1 ¼ cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup pecan halves (toasted, chopped)
- ½ cup crystallized ginger (chopped)
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line baking sheet with parchment. Whisk Vi-Shape and flour, brown sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add applesauce or avocado and using fingertips, blend into flour mixture until course meal forms.
- Add soy milk, vanilla and fresh ginger and stir with fork until moist clumps form.
- Add pecans and crystallized ginger.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface, knead and divide in half.
- Form each half into a disk and cut each disk into six wedges. Transfer to parchment.
- Brush scones with soy milk and sprinkle with crystallized ginger as desired.
- Bake scones 20 minutes until golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Makes 12 scones